<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Layout:
Home > living in limbo
 

living in limbo

March 9th, 2011 at 09:39 am

Ugh. We entered our counter offer on the house, post-inspection 24 hours ago. We are still waiting to hear back. The seller has moved to Asia, so the 14 hour time difference slows down all correspondence.

We asked for the price of a mid-range HVAC replacement, considering the listing made it sounds as though the system had been upgraded, and the current system is at or past the end of its life. Hubby wants to walk away from the house if we don't get it.

He is convinced that they will concede, because it's supposedly a buyers market. I say they probably won't, or will probably try to offer us half.

I just hope whatever they come back with is clear cut. Either they say screw you, you get nothing or they give it all to us. (I know that won't happen!!), so then the decision process is easy. Nothing= bye bye. Everything= green light.

We stressed to our realtor that we are willing to walk. We are the rare type of buyer in this market. We wrote a clean offer, not contingent on sale of our house. We have two more years to look for a house. We've got the money, they can take it or leave it.

I feel just too exhausted. I just want to know if we are moving or not, so I can get everything done that needs to be done. Right now, we are in limbo and I can't stand it.

Not knowing is the worst part for me. I've always been the type that, good news or bad, I'd rather just know so I can live and plan accordingly.

8 Responses to “living in limbo”

  1. North Georgia Gal Says:

    I understand! I am the type of person that will bug someone continuously until I get an answer. I just can't help myself.

  2. creditcardfree Says:

    Looking back at your posts, your offer was at your maximum price. Depending on how much you are paying for the other necessary upgrades, I would probably not walk if the offer was to split the price of the HVAC upgrade. It is the house you want!!

    Otherwise, walk and reoffer in a few months if the house still sits there. Just my opinion.

    I hope you hear back fast!!

  3. baselle Says:

    Yeah, isn't that funny - a lurch from this has to be done immediately to crickets for weeks at a time.

    As "they" always say: the first offer is the best offer.

    If you want maximum meanness, walk, but say that if realtor asks again ... possible if after a few months the house generates no other offers ... your re-offer will be 10% lower.

  4. Ima saver Says:

    I hope you hear something soon!

  5. Single Guy Says:

    Depending on how the contract is written up, if it says they will convey xyz, and it doesn't have xyz, you could (if you want...) wait until closing and bring it up then. Then you can negotiate, because at that point the seller's agent will be on your side - if you back out its money and effort he will lose if the sale breaks down and he will not stand for that (plus he'll just be ticked that its going to take longer because of it). Of course you should be careful going this route.

    When I bought my house, some things were not in working order as per the contract, my agent backed me up (as she checked out the house with me), and the seller's agent was upset with the sellers and he got me money to cover the costs of the problems before I signed the papers. Of course like I said, it depends on how the contract is written up.

  6. ThriftoRama Says:

    That isn't really my style. I have two toddlers and I need to know now if I'm moving or not, and if the stuff isn't covered, then I'm not moving. I'm not going to waste the realtors', the bank's, or my time by letting it go on any longer than it has to.

    By the way, it's been 36 hours, and still no word back.

  7. My English Castle Says:

    I sympathize so much with you. I bet you just wish you could wake up and it's resolved one way or the other.
    Any chance of distracting yourself? A movie? A book? A glass of wine? Hang in there.

  8. ThriftoRama Says:

    Oh, I'm in the middle of a storm of unknowns right now. The house. An unresolved medical test, and now the refrigerator broke tonight. It's always everything all at once. I just want to yell "SERIOUSLY??" at the fridge.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
*
Will not be published.
   

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]